Gimbal vs. Handheld – this has always been a point of discussion amongst photographers – amateurs and professionals. Fortunately, the new Zhiyun CRANE 2S takes the guesswork out of the equation. While photographers and videographers always made do with handheld, the first gimbal launch in 2010 turned the tables. With the number of benefits that gimbals come with, there is hardly any doubt as to why gimbals win those brownie points over the handheld mode!
Main Features of the Zhiyun CRANE 2S:
- CRANE 2S supports digital focus control via the built-in focus wheel on the gimbal. In addition, the rotation dampening of the focus wheel is improved to enhance videographers’ muscle memory for pulling focus.
- CRANE 2S is pushing boundaries not just in terms of loading performance, but also with its film grade focus control ability. With its upgraded built-in focus wheel and focus motors that feature ultra-low delay and high precision,you will never miss any decisive shots.
- Designed for high-efficiency team collaboration, CRANE 2S is equipped with a dedicated slot for installing image transmission transmitter and multiple mounting points : One 1/4″ screw hole on the back of the quick release plate for the camera to shift between different devices such as sliders and tripods; Two 1/4″ screw holes with crown gear and one 3/8″ screw hole on the gimbal for creative adaptation.
- The new 0.96″ OLED screen offers a bigger vision. With it, you will be able to go through the entire menu within seconds and switch between different modes swiftly.
- The upgraded axis locking mechanism 2.0 adopts a two-phase locking design that guarantees zero swinging of the gimbal during traveling or storage.
- To enhance the practicality of CRANE 2S as a reliable and sturdy workhorse, the handle of it is built with carbon fibre, lightening the physical burden of videographers without compromising loading capacity of the gimbal.
- The CRANE 2S is outfitted with 3 removable 18650 Li-ion batteries which offer a 12-hour runtime. For time-demanding tasks videographers can easily prolong the runtime of the gimbal with backup batteries.
- Six gimbal modes, from basic to advanced, are all easily accessible on CRANE 2S: Pan Following, Locking, Following, Full-Range POV, Vortex, Go mode.
- Advanced cinematic features such as Panorama, Timelapse, Motionlapse, and Long Exposure Timelapse can be easily achieved with CRANE 2S.
- The TransMount ecosystem of accessories are here to better serve videographers with TransMount image transmission system, quick setup kits, monopod, servo zoom/focus motors, etc.
- Completely revamped accessory system – a 2.0 follow focus unit and image transmission module are amongst other accessories.
Why should you use a Gimbal?
The most critical aspect of shooting moving subjects is stability. You may have a gorgeous subject against a stunning backdrop, but an unstable, shaky hand can ruin even the best photographs and videos. Fortunately, a gimbal works wonders here, giving you the much-required stability. Plus, it is considerably better than any handheld camera movement.
2. Saves time
When a shot requires different camera movements, setting up consumes a lot of time. Stabilisation gimbals come to the rescue here, allowing photographers to get just what they require in an instant. Furthermore, gimbals are particularly preferred in time and budget crunch situations, as the output is not compromised in any way.
Professional Gimbals by Zhiyun
The range of gimbals by Zhiyun have redefined stability since their inception. These top-class gimbals have been a huge value-addition to creatives across the world. Furthermore, the gimbals by Zhiyun are known for their ease of use, making them a hit among professionals and novices.
The quick setup system is an added advantage, making shooting a lot more efficient. Fortunately, these gimbals have a smart lock system that optimises control when shooting in motion.
Zhiyun’s gimbals offer fantastic compatibility. Anyone can use them with a whole range of devices – right from action cameras to compact cameras and even smartphones!
Zhiyun CRANE 2S – how does it stand apart from the previous models?
For all those waiting with bated breath, a new generation of the Zhiyun’s CRANE 2 is arriving – the brand-new CRANE 2S!
The gimbals developed by Zhiyun have already made their mark in the world of photography and videography. The all-new version, Zhiyun CRANE 2S, is another stellar addition to the range of products that already have a reputation of being a class apart. Furthermore, this spectacular model comes with improved and upgraded features of its own.
Taking a cue from the previous products, the CRANE 2S comes with crafted innovations and a whole new level of detail. For instance you can quickly adjust from a horizontal orientation to portrait mode. This is thanks to the new plate system – which is also Manfrotto plate compatible.
In addition to this the overall improvement in performance is simply hard to miss. All this, while inheriting the classic, sleek industrial design and solid quality of its predecessor.
The upgraded model effortlessly bridges the gap between professional cinema camera gimbals and light mirrorless camera gimbals – while retaining solid reliability and usability of the previous models. Now with precise digital and mechanical focus control, users have the ability to adjust focus with precision.
This new model from Zhiyun is not merely upgraded; it is a revamped, reconstructed model, which stands apart from its predecessor. What’s most impressive, CRANE 2S is equipped with SUPER motors, which allow a massive payload. What’s more, this is the most interesting feature of CRANE 2S, as it allows the gimbal to support a wider range of cameras. Plus, the powerful motor perfectly balances weight and offers supreme reliability.
Incredible Touch Controls and Locking System
The Zhiyan Crane 2S features a user friendly touch control panel. While in operation the user can quickly adjust important setting of the camera. The joystick, mode dial and record buttons should be similar to previous Zhiyan owners.
Also found above the grip is the new locking system. To lock, all you have to do is slide the robust lock toward the lock symbol. Compared to previous models this system seems way more secure. You will certainly have piece of mind if you accidentally bump the switch. Your camera will not fall out from a slight knock.
The detachable extension offers all the flexibility photographers and videographers crave! For larger camera combos, you can easily attach the extension module onto the roll axis and optimise the added space. Fortunately, for smaller DSLR or mirrorless combos, all you have to do is detach the extension and make use of the portability.
This wonderful feature equips you for the most challenging of all shooting tasks. The handle mods can be easily separated. Interestingly, these are equipped with holes of different sizes, which allow you to mount varied accessories without any complications.
Zhiyun Crane 2S Final Words
With the features it brings, Zhiyun’s CRANE 2S Gimbal stabilizer is worth every cent. Overcoming all the drawbacks in the previous models, the Zhiyun has done an exceptional job with CRANE 2S. The mind-blowing and smooth footage outcome proves how exceptional this product is. What’s more, he portability, despite having a much higher payload, is a fabulous feature of the CRANE 2S.
Finally, if you are about to invest in a stabiliser or looking to upgrade your existing one, look no further. This is by the best you can get out there. Go ahead; you’re just one step away from an amazing creative experience.