Hi, my name is Erwin. I am fortunate to have the opportunity to travel for work as an International Cabin Crew with Qantas, and combining my passion in photography.
What gear do you use?
Currently, I use Fuji XT2, and several Fuji Prime and Tele Lenses for different occasions, and Godox V1 with AKR1 accessories for lighting set up. When travelling, I pack my gear in WANDRD Hexad Access, which has heaps of compartments and excellent functionality.
What type of photography are you into?
My focus is on wildlife photography, particularly birds. I also enjoy shooting landscape/travel when the occasion arises.
How did you get into photography? What/Who inspires you?
It started with wanting to take good photos of places I’ve been to with work, then I got more serious when I got my XT2 in 2017.
I love watching David Attenborough’s wildlife documentaries, which inspired me to get the XF100-400 lens. I also admire the incredibly beautiful works of Jan Wegener and Leila Jeffries for birds photograph as they have a certain unique style. For travel and landscape, Peter McKinnon and Sean Tucker are my inspirations
Top 3 photo locations:
- Australia is still my favourite place to shoot. We have so many National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries that are accessible with diverse species.
- Singapore is another great place that comes to mind. For such a small country, it has so many protected green spaces scattered throughout the island.
- Bali is a place I often go to and I love the scenery and its’ rich tradition.
Top 3 editing tips:
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes when editing and experiment with different editing tools as there’s always a reset button.
- Keep practicing and make use of the countless free tutorials available on YouTube. I have learnt many new tricks I didn’t even know existed from LR and PS.
- Join a community group online and don’t be afraid to ask questions or feedback. I am part of the Fuji X Aus Facebook, which is the most welcoming photography group, and it has been a wonderful experience meeting fellow photographers.
What has been your most memorable experience?
On my recent trip to Bali, Sun Rise in Sanur to capture the morning light is a meditative experience. There was hardly anyone around and the water was perfectly smooth and still, it creates a perfect reflection of the traditional fishing boats and then the golden glow arises slowly. It’s just so beautiful and fleeting.
If you have a superpower, what would yours be?
I’d like to be an animal whisperer. It would be awesome to be able to tune in and hear what the birds and animals are talking about.
What have you been doing at home during this time?
Taking photos of my goldfish while also learning how the speedlight works in different ways. When the weather is beautiful, I am out and about in quiet corners of Centennial Park or the Eastern Beaches coastal walk, looking for birds.