I’m Smita Nashikkar. A family and lifestyle photographer who focuses on capturing true and organic emotion. I run my own photography business. My hobbies are photography, traveling & baking.
What gear do you use?
Nikkor 70-200 mm f/2.8 E F
Nikkor 85 mm f/1.8 G
Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8 G
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 G2
What type of photography are you into?
I am mainly into portrait photography but I love to photograph nature, birds, and architecture when I am not shooting portraits.
How did you start photography? What inspires you?
I am always fascinated with nature, sunsets, and architecture since my childhood so photography was my obvious way to capture these moments. When I purchased my first DSLR in 2010, which made me explore more about photography and that’s how it started.
The great natural light that I see every day, gets me excited to take pictures as well as people, locations that I see in daily life, or places I travel. Also, great photography by others, the cinematography in movies inspire me.
Top 3 photo locations?
1. Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside
2. Breenhold Gardens, Mount Wilson
3. Mrs Macquarie’s Chair, Sydney
Top 3 photo/editing tips?
1. Shoot in RAW – If your camera has a RAW capability setting. Use it! RAW photographs are much better to edit with and are much higher quality. This is because RAW photos capture all of the image data, and don’t compress the photos as JPEGs do.
2. Editing – I personally use Lightroom for the majority of my photos editing. It’s a very intuitive system, and it’s great for organising and editing a collection of pictures. I still occasionally use Photoshop for certain edits, but I find that Lightroom is more than sufficient for my blog, Instagram, and holiday photos.
3. Lightroom Presets – Since I’ve been using Lightroom so much, I have made my own presets to give my photos a similar look. This is especially useful for creating a cohesive Instagram theme, and for making the editing process much easier!
What has been your most memorable experience?
Teaching others about photography has been my most memorable experience.
If you had superpowers, what would yours be?
If I had superpowers I would like to transform into anything I want or have the ability to freeze time. That would be so cool. Life would be so much easier.
What have you been doing at home during this time?
I am trying to keep myself occupied with cooking, baking, and photographing my backyard birds & sunsets most of the time.