Blackmagic seems to have done it again. 12K is the new black! That’s certainly the case for Blackmagic Design with their newly announced New Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K cameras. This highly anticipated camera has been revealed as:
“The world’s most advanced digital film camera with new Super 35 12K image sensor, new Generation 5 Color Science and new Blackmagic RAW performance!”
Put in simple terms this 12,288 x 6480 12K Super 35 sensor should blow the competition away. For film makers there’s some great news, the camera is available this month from Georges. So ensure you check in with the team to secure a fantastic price.
The users of this camera will no doubt be thinking of IMAX, feature film and VFX production. This camera is certainly capable and has it all, even for the admiring TVC director. With 14 Stops of dynamic range and a native 800 ISO to match, the light capabilities of the URSA Mini Pro 12K are flawless.
Incredible Features of the Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K
- 12,288 x 6480 12K Super 35 sensor for an extraordinarily high-resolution film.
- The limitation of this camera is endless. Consider this camera for feature films, VFX and high-end TVC’s
- 14 stops of dynamic range and native 800 ISO make low light shooting a breeze.
- New Blackmagic RAW for real-time 12K editing ensuring you record at the highest quality.
- Blackmagic RAW optimised for Metal, CUDA and OpenCL, so there’s no need to create additional proxies.
- Generation 5 Colour Science with new film curve to gain the maximum colour rendition from the file.
- Shoot up to 60 fps in 12K, 110 fps at 8K and 220 fps at 4K for incredibly rich slow-motion footage.
- Dual card CFast recording at up to 900MB/s for blazing-fast transfers so you can keep filming.
- Extend your system with PL mount included, EF and F mount available.
- SuperSpeed USB-C for recording to external disks which also handle start and stop so there’s no manual work involved.
- Includes DaVinci Resolve Studio for post-production ensuring you are compatible with the latest version.
- Compatible with new Blackmagic URSA Mini Recorder to handle all of your storage requirements on the fly.
RAW Capabilities of the Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro
There’s certainly a lot of talk about Blackmagic’s RAW capabilities as well. Featuring RAW for real-time 12K editing, which is optimised for Metal, CUDA and OpenCL (so no need to create additional proxies), this Q0 encoding should set the competition back. Especially when paired with the Blackmagic URSA Mini Recorder. This new tech lets customers record 12-bit Blackmagic RAW files onto fast 2.5-inch SSDs, including the latest U.2 NVMe Enterprise SSDs.
With data transfer speeds at 900 MB/s, the 12K footage will be blazing fast for on the fly downloading. Plus users won’t even have to worry about start and stop thanks to the USB-C compatibility. All of this while maintaining full resolution in either 4K, 8K or 12K thanks to the highest Q0 encoding. Sitting in between the camera and the battery, the URSA Mini Recorder doesn’t take up too much space when attached to the URSA Mini Pro—making it an essential accessory for every professional.
Turning your attention to the RAW 12K footage, the URSA Mini Pro boasts deep picture control in the form of detail, exposure and colour during post-production. Blackmagic RAW 12K images provide unprecedented resolution and quality for colour, keying, compositing, reframing, stabilisation and tracking in 4K or 8K. Oversampling means customers get extremely sharp 8K without harsh edges. Best of all, Blackmagic RAW is designed to accelerate 12K for post-production, making it as easy to work with as standard HD or Ultra HD files.
URSA Mini Pro Highest Quality Sensor
Imagine a 12K sensor that’s capable of recording at 80 megapixels per frame. Almost sounds too good to be true. Well, with Blackmagic RAW in combination with the URSA Mini Pro 12K sensor this quality is certainly possible. What’s more, the next-generation codec provides customers with the ability to shoot 12K and edit on a laptop, something that’s not possible with other codecs.
The third-generation camera also allows for different shooting frame rates. Show incredible details when shooting at either 60 fps in 12K, 110 fps in 8K and up to 220 fps in 4K Super 16. Plus, the enormous resolution of the sensor means you can reframe shots in post for delivery in 8K and 4K. Flexibility and quality are the keys here as you can work at any resolution in post-production without having to render due to the sensor’s ability to capture all the detail using Blackmagic’s RAW capabilities.
State of the Art Encoding at 12-bit
12-bit, 80-megapixel images at 60 frames is the constant quality you can expect from the URSA Mini Pro 12K. Q0 and Q5 options and new Q1 and Q3 lock the quality level allowing compression to adapt, matching the detail of the scene. This is regardless if you are shooting at either of the following frames and resolution settings:
- 60 fps in 12K 12,288 x 6480 17:9.
- 110 fps at 8192 x 4320
- 140 fps at 8192 x 3408
- (4K) 220 fps at 4096 x 2160 DCI
With constant bitrate encoding options of 5:1, 8:1, 12:1 plus the newly added 18:1 are all designed to give you the best possible images with predictable and consistent file size. When looking to encode RAW footage, you have the option of recording to two cards simultaneously. This provides an added flexibility of shooting in either 12K or 8K. At These resolutions you can record to either CFast or UHS-II cards even at higher frame rates. All of the Blackmagic RAW data is stored simultaneously. You can record camera metadata, lens data, white balance, digital slate information and custom LUTs to ensure consistency of image on set and through post-production.
In summary, if you require the highest quality footage this is the camera for you. the URSA Mini Pro 12K is the perfect build for a range of scenarios. the camera is due to release this month. So, ensure you place your order immediately to secure what will be a ground-breaking camera for the motion picture and television industry.