In our latest video, Liv and Josh review the new Tamron 28-200mm lens for Sony FE mount cameras, now available in-stores and online. Dubbed the Best All-In-One E-Mount Lens, we give you the breakdown of the features and benefits you need to know for the world’s first* F2.8 all-in-one zoom lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras. Also, we take both the Tamron 28-200mm and Sony 24-240mm for a shootout to compare which lens performs better.
- 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6 aperture, wide-to-super-tele zoom
- 42-300mm equivalent focal length range
- Compact and lightweight at 576g and 117mm length, it is taller but lighter than Sony’s lens
- Constructed by 18 Optical Elements in 14 Groups
- Smooth and quick Eye-AF for both people and animals
- Lock Mechanism which stops your camera from zooming out and lens in its retracted position while you’re walking around with it
- Has a fluorine coating to the front lens element to protect against dusty, dirt and smearing
- Great construction for a hard plastic built lens with a matte finish which is also dust and moisture-resistant
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent stepping Drive) autofocus motor
- GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) Elements
- Hybrid Aspherical Lenses
- XLD (eXtra Low Dispersion) Element
- LD (Low Dispersion) Lens Elements
- Photos are noticeably sharper and clarity overall due to a variety of aberrations
- Tamron performs better in low light and depth of field in comparison to the Sony lens, due to the f/2.8-5.6 aperture
- Tracking delivery was just as quiet, fast and smooth as the Sony lens, suiting both stills and video captures
- The lens doesn’t have built-in stabilization, however, the majority of Sony bodies have IBIS which helps greatly
- Both the Tamron and Sony have a similar price point. However, Sony is suited for those who usually shoot in good lighting and favour focal distance. This will allow you to get wider and closer to your subjects. The Tamron has a better depth of field and more versatile when shoot shooting in low light conditions without compromising the quality allowing you to focus on creativity
Overall, this all-in-one zoom lens is great for everyday and travel photography with Sony’s full-frame mirrorless system. It is also the perfect option for an entry-level photographers and those looking for a lens that covers a large focal range without breaking the bank. You’ll be able to travel light and capture your subjects without compromising the detail or quality of sharpness and clarity. Additionally, it sports a moisture-resistant construction along with a fluorine-coated front element to protect against fingerprints and smudging.