My name is Ben Maze, and I’ve just recently started working as a salesman at George’s Cameras and loving it! Besides photography as an obvious hobby, I also love to play and listen to music, especially on my guitar.
What gear do you use to take your photos?
I currently use the Nikon D750, Nikon 16-35mm f/4 and Tamron 70-200mm SP f/2.8. I also use the Sirui W-2204 tripod and K30II ballhead, plus a Nisi CPL.
What type of photography are you into?
How did you start photography? What/Who inspires you?
I started photography by picking up my dad’s old Nikon D70 back in 2013. I’ve been drawing and painting my life, and photography quickly became my new creative obsession. I’ve only gotten more excited about it since!
Being a landscape photographer, I’m constantly inspired by nature, from the intimate details to the grand and epic scene. There is so much beauty to explore out there! I am also super inspired by certain photographers that I admire, the likes of which include Erin Babnik, Enrico Fossati, Ted Gore, TJ Thorne and Alex Noriega.
Top 3 photo locations to shoot?
1. Tasmania – everywhere. It’s such a versatile state for amazing landscapes
2. Bermagui – seascape galore!
3. The Blue Mountains
Top 3 photo tips?
1. Composition is King. A good composition can survive through bad light and less than perfect technique. Eliminate distractions, and have all other elements complement the main subject.
2. Work with what you have, rather than forcing an image. It can be very obvious when certain light or perspectives are forced upon a scene that didn’t provide it naturally. Open yourself up to the infinite beauty that nature has rather than being boxed in by predetermined notions about what you think you want to capture.
3. Advance your post-processing. Sometimes great photos suffer because they have been over-edited, or processed in a way that didn’t compliment them. Invest in tutorials from photographers that you admire and learn how to truly enhance, rather than diminish, the image you’ve put effort into.
What has been your most memorable experience?
Easily the most memorable experience I’ve had was at Lion Rock last October in Tasmania. This location is a two-hour hike from the nearest road to the most epic coastal location I’ve witnessed, situated at almost the southernmost point of Tasmania. The Aurora Australis had been predicted for the night after we had finished up shooting at Lion Rock, but being out of service meant we couldn’t check to see any updates. On our second night, we headed down to the beach in the dark after dinner. We set up our cameras, and upon capturing our first exposures, we realised that the Aurora has come a night early! Green, orange and pink colours appeared high in the sky in our frames. Not only that, but the waves in the distance were also crashing bright blue with bioluminescence, and the Milky Way was setting perfectly over Lion Rock. We couldn’t believe our eyes. It was truly an incredible night to remember.