When GoPro announced the Hero 7 Black last year we thought it was god damn insane. Now GoPro have dropped two cameras that look to storm the action camera space. Here’s a breakdown on both of these amazing cameras.
GoPro Hero 8 Black
Building on the success of its predecessor, the GoPro Hero 8 houses an upgraded stabilisation mode with HyperSmooth 2.0 which works in all resolutions and frame rates. In addition it takes it to the next level with a new Boost mode for stronger stabilisation with in built levelling. Below are a list of the new features in the Hero 8 Black.
- Streamlined Design – Frameless mounting with built-in folding mounting fingers, more pocketable and 14% lighter. The frameless design also makes changing batteries and SD cards even faster; plus, the lens is now 2x more impact resistant.
- HyperSmooth 2.0 – Improved overall baseline performance and dramatically improved stabilisation in pitch-axis movement. HyperSmooth 2.0 also features a new Boost mode that cranks up the stabilisation when desired. Plus, HyperSmooth 2.0 works in all resolutions and frame rates and features in-app horizon levelling.
- TimeWarp 2.0 – Automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. Tap to slow down to real time and again to speed back up.
- LiveBurst – Record the moments 1.5 seconds before and after your shot, so you can choose the best single frame for the perfect 12-MP photo or share an amazing 4K 4:3 video.
- SuperPhoto with improved HDR – Capture killer 12-MP photos with improved HDR – while in motion or stationary – with reduced blur and serious detail even in low-light areas.
- Pro-Quality 4K60 + 1080p240 Video – Stunning video resolution, with studio-quality bit rate options of up to 100 Mbps and 8x slo-mo ultra-high frame rate 1080p240 video.
- RAW in All Photo Modes – RAW mode delivers the most flexibility and is now available for time lapse and burst photos.
- Night Lapse Video – Capture amazing time lapse videos at night in 4K, 2.7K 4:3, 1440p or 1080p, all processed in-camera.
- Live Streaming in 1080p – Get HyperSmooth stabilisation as you broadcast via the GoPro app and save footage to your SD card to check out later.
- Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction – Enjoy crisper, clearer audio quality with a new front mic location and improved algorithms that actively filter out wind noise.
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 10 m.
GoPro Hero 8 Black Media Mod
This is one of the reasons why the GoPro Hero 8 Black is going to take the vlogging market by storm. The Media Mod gives your GoPro Hero 8 a shotgun microphone, a 3.5mm jack for you to plug in your favourite microphone, HDMI out port and two cold shoe mounts. The cold shoe mounts will allow you to attach on any hot shoe accessory or GoPros Light and Display Mods.
The GoPro Light Mod is a waterproof LED light, waterproof up to 10 metres and the GoPro Display Mod is a front facing LCD screen perfect for vloggers.
GoPro Hero Max
GoPro MAX is a dual-lens GoPro camera that maxes out on versatility – it’s like having three cameras in one. Use MAX as a waterproof, maximum-stabilised single lens HERO camera, dual-lens 360° camera or next-level vlogging camera with its built-in front-facing display and shotgun-mic audio capabilities. No matter how you use it, MAX delivers next-level, unbreakable video stabilisation with Max HyperSmooth. MAX also features four digital lenses, including the new ultra-wide Max SuperView – the widest field of view ever in a GoPro. Additional updates include in-camera 360° video and photo stitching plus keyframe-based editing of 360° content in the GoPro app.
Below is a full list of the GoPro Hero Max features:
- Built-In, Folding Mounting Fingers
- HERO + 360° Capture Modes – Switch between traditional HERO-style video and photo or immersive 360° footage.
- Max HyperSmooth – MAX gives you unbreakable stabilisation by using 180° capture as the ultimate buffer.
- In-Camera Horizon Levelling – In HERO mode, game-changing horizon levelling gives you that silky-smooth cinematic look.
- Max TimeWarp – Warps time in both 360° and HERO modes. In HERO mode, TimeWarp automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting + change from slow capture to real time in one tap.
- Digital Lenses – Four digital lenses make selecting a field of view easy and include the ultra-immersive Max SuperView option.
- Max SuperView – Our widest, most immersive view yet can be applied using digital lenses.
- PowerPano – Pano without the pan. Take incredible 270° distortion-free panoramic photos without having to scan the horizon. Perfect for capturing action shots and epic selfies.
- Premium Image Quality – 5.6K30 360° video, 1440p60 and 1080p60 HERO video, 5.5-MP HERO photos and 6.2-MP PowerPano photos.
- Premium 360° + Stereo Audio – Six mics capture true-to-life 360° audio and deliver the best stereo sound ever from a GoPro.
- Directional Audio – Directional audio in HERO mode lets you prioritise sound from either side of the camera, no matter which lens you’re using – perfect for vlogging.
- In-Camera Stitching – Offload and edit your 360° footage in the GoPro app.
- Reframe + the GoPro App – Use the new keyframe-based workflow in the app to easily Reframe 360° footage into traditional videos and photos you can play back, edit or share.
- 1080p Live Streaming – Capture in HERO mode and share while you’re there in HyperSmooth stabilisation.
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 5 m.
- GPS-Enabled – GPS captures your location, altitude and speed. Add GPS performance stickers to your videos in the GoPro app.
- Scene Detection – In HERO mode, MAX knows if you’re in the snow, at the beach, underwater and more.
Pre Order information available soon.